Tuesday, January 29, 2013

We left San Jose and took an Interbus to Puerto Viejo yesterday.   We are finally here!  When we got our bags packed and went outside to wait for the bus there were literally HUNDREDS of people on the street waiting for the city bus - we have never been in San Jose on a weekday so we hadn't seen it before.   There were people as far as you could see for blocks.






The bus ride here takes 4 1/2 hours but it is a beautiful ride through the mountains, some secondary rainforests and several small towns.  The bus only stopped once so I didn't get any photos of the ride.  We met a really nice young couple on the bus from Canada - they were spending a little time here then backpacking to Nicaragua and Guatemala with 20 other people.  I wish I had done things like that when I was younger!

We were both a little nervous when we arrived about the house we had rented.   It was VERY cheap and we have learned through the years that pictures on the Internet can be misleading (that's another blog!).  We were pleasantly surprised -it is very small but clean and cozy.   We can lie in the hammock on our front porch and listen to the ocean.   The ocean is right in our front yard but the jungle is so dense that you can barely see it.   Here are some pictures of the house.



Notice the showerhead - it's what the gringos call a suicide shower - it is the only hot water in the house - that is the electrical wiring right above it.   They used to make me nervous but I'm used to them now.
Front yard - the beach is right in front of the trees but you can barely see it.

I've never liked having a window over my sink but now I have changed my mind.   I love this one!


Dinner being prepared.  I have to write a post about the food here - this was one of the best dinners I have made in ages and it was simple and CHEAP!  

 
John checking his emails.
 
John lounging in the hammock after dinner.   Note to self:  we can't both lie in the hammock at the same time - it is just not strong enough.

The only thing about where we are is that the sand is volcanic sand and it is almost black- right past town it turns white.

Puerto Viejo



Today we are going into town to rent bikes from a Columbian man we met.  John negotiated a very good price with him.   He has a son that lives in the Hamptons on Long Island - small world!   The price the Columbian is giving us is about $200 cheaper than the Americans down the road wanted to charge us!!








No comments:

Post a Comment