Sunday, January 27, 2013

We've arrived!!!


Our flight to Miami left on time this morning.    A typical morning with an early flight to catch – not being able to sleep because you are afraid you will oversleep and miss the flight.   We’ve been up since 2:30 this morning.   We had a friend drop us at the airport to catch the flight; after he left we realized that we don’t have our keys and didn’t tell him what to do with them.  It took me close to a month to figure out what we needed to take with us.   A month is a long time to pack for!   The last time we flew internationally was in 2010 and we were allowed to check 2 bags each – I didn’t check with the airline before we left and they have changed the policy since then – they hit us with a $40 charge for one extra bag.  John was livid!   We have already formulated a plan to get around the charge on the way back. 

We have over 100 pounds of luggage in the cargo hold, not counting the carry-ons we brought.   There is no such thing as a Laundromat in Costa Rica (that I have ever seen).   The locals either have their own machines or they was clothes by hand on a washboard.   There are people who will do your laundry for a small fee but they rarely ever have dryers and when they do they still don’t completely dry your clothes.   It takes a long time for things to dry because of the humidity.    That is my excuse for bringing 45 pounds of clothing on this trip! 

We landed in San Jose without any problems.   I had forgotten why I loved this country so much until the plane did that huge tilt as we descended and I saw the beautiful mountains that flank the Central Valley.   I can’t wait to get to the jungle in Puerto Viejo tomorrow!!!

We don’t have Internet access in our room so I am typing up my post and going to the Internet café to post this.   I will start posting pictures tomorrow!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment